Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Re: Green Party policy on home education
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Canopus wrote:
1. The Greens want kids to walk or cycle to school. They know that one of the biggest reasons why so many kids are transported by car is because they don't attend the nearest school, and therefore, are outside of a reasonable walking and cycling range.

Has it ever occurred to the Greens that if children were HE then there would be no need for a school run twice each day? Somehow I think the Greens are overlooking the obvious when it comes to finding solutions to reduce the number of children transported to and from school in cars.

Quote:
2. Allowing parents to choose which school their kids attend has created 'ghettoisation' in some towns and cities. It is quite common to find a school with a high proportion of kids from one ethnic group only half a mile away from a school with a high proportion of kids from a different ethnic group. The Greens are strongly in favour of multiculturalism and multicultural societies. They are opposed to any form of segregation even if it is self imposed by the personal wishes of parents and kids wanting to be with their own types more than others. Denying parents the choice of which school their kids attend will reduce this ghettoisation.

The issue of the Green Party's obsession with multiculturalism in education has been mentioned in the summary of party policies on home education.

Quote:
3. Allowing parents to choose which school their kids attend has resulted in good schools being heavily oversubscribed and bad schools left with a surplus of places in some areas. Some bad schools have ended up verging on dustbins for low ability or badly behaved kids because no parent with a child of average or high ability will dream of sending them to such a school. Denying parents the choice of which school their kids attend will reduce pressure on oversubscribed schools and help to improve bad schools by improving the overall quality of the kids that attend - although I dispute this last point.

There are many good reasons why parents don't want their children to attend the local school. Notable examples include:

1. Bullying.

2. Having to mix with obnoxious or unfriendly children resulting from their background or poor parenting.

3. Lacking staff who are knowledgeable about a specific type of SEN.

4. The school has more serious problems to deal with that there is no time or money to address the SEN of a handful of children.

It's quite common for parents of children with SEN to initially send them to a local school then move them to a different school at a later date because services are better there. Has the Green Party ever discussed their educational policies with the parents of children with SEN?

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#22  PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:07 pm 

admin wrote:
Has it ever occurred to the Greens that if children were HE then there would be no need for a school run twice each day? Somehow I think the Greens are overlooking the obvious when it comes to finding solutions to reduce the number of children transported to and from school in cars.

Overlooking the obvious seems to be a common trait amongst the Greens in my locality.

Quote:
It's quite common for parents of children with SEN to initially send them to a local school then move them to a different school at a later date because services are better there.

I think the problem with the Greens is that they have visions of some utopian dream where everything works perfectly without any problems. This is why they come out with phrases like "a good local school" rather than accepting that not all schools are equal despite having the NC and tons of legislation imposing standardisation from central government.

Quote:
Has the Green Party ever discussed their educational policies with the parents of children with SEN?

Local members definitely have but whether the information finds its way to the senior officers of the party is another matter.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#23  PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Green Party are gathering information from the public in order to update and improve their home education policy which will be debated at the Autumn conference in early September. Please submit any comments at:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1b6at9b ... I/viewform

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#24  PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

The Asperger Home Education commentary.

http://www.aspergersupport.org.uk/news/a28.html

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#25  PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Still no update on progress from the Green Party. I will send them an email asking whether ED152 has been amended or not.

I have noticed something that could be a bit worrying for HE parents who's children have been unhappy at school.

Natalie Bennett (the leader of the Green Party) made a speech at the Islington Green Party AGM back in 2013 where she proudly announced that "I was, at around the age of 10, a child who didn’t just love school, but loved learning".

Our own experience reveals that adults who generally enjoyed school themselves are less likely to understand children who do not enjoy school than adults who were unhappy at school or struggled with problems relating to the school environment and its system of teaching and learning. This is regardless of their love of learning. If one enjoys something then they are less likely to be critical of it than if they didn't enjoy it or it failed to meet their expectations.

Therefore, Natalie Bennett might struggle to understand the difficulties children with AS encounter at school and how it affects their happiness and well being.

http://islington.greenparty.org.uk/news ... islington/

The management of Asperger Home Education feel that a high proportion of the educational reforms put fowards by the Green Party are geared towards NT children of average academic ability rather than children with AS or those with high abilities. Children with interests in STEM or technical subjects could also lose out because the Green Party officials tend to come from an arts and humanities background.

Share this information
  • Print view this post