Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Liquorice sticks
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 pm 

Does anybody know where sells boxes of liquorice sticks? Liquorice cuttings are available from Tesco, Julian Graves, and local chemists. The hard Bassetti and soft liquorice sticks are available from internet sweetshops at grossly overinflated prices but are very difficult to find in the real world.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: Liquorice sticks
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 pm 

There used to be an independent shop nearby that sold 3 foot long liquorice whips. The shop is now taken over by a multinational and no longer sells any of the interesting stuff it once did.

Bassetti liquorice sticks seem to only be available in big boxes of 100. If they were available in smaller packs then I reckon more shops would sell them.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:06 pm 

Back in the 80s an independent shop next door to my primary school sold loose sweets that you could buy individually. Next to the sweet containers was a box of liquorice novelties. I'm not sure which company it was from but I don't think it was Bassetts. Inside was a selection of soft liquorice sticks including twisted and plain; liquorice pipes; flat liquorice strips; and 'red' liquorice sticks that were liquorice flavoured. The shop later got taken over by One Stop and discontinued its loose sweets and liquorice sticks.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm 

As much as I hate excess packaging and the waste it produces, I blame the manufacturers for the near demise of many traditional sweets from our shops for failing to put them in small plastic bags. Large containers of sweets are a very convenient package for on the sideboard at home but are not convenient for today's retail environment. I can see no logical reason why Bassetti hard liquorice shouldn't be available in bags of say five sticks hanging from the sweet shelves in supermarkets and petrol stations. Can you or the multinational company that makes them?

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm 

I recently picked up a bottle of liquorice syrup from Al Halal supermarket in Birmingham. It's a sweet and viscous black liquid made in Lebanon that tastes (unsurprisingly) like liquorice, and is almost certainly the flavouring for liquorice sweets mixed in with the flour and treacle 'base'. I'm now wondering if there are any other uses for it apart from a drink.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:23 pm 

My son brought back liquorice syrup from Iran. He said that Muslims drink small cups of it when they break their fast during Ramadan. It makes a good flavouring for cakes and biscuits. Somewhere on the internet is a recipe for a lemon and liquorice cake. It could also be used as a sauce for deserts or ice cream, and possibly in salad dressings or sweet and sour type dishes.

Share this information
  • Print view this post