Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: What medical education can learn from homeschooling
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm 

A very interesting and bold article considering that medicine in the UK is a subject that strongly favours academic education more often than not in posh independent schools. My son thinks that much of the article applies to engineering where industry and professional engineering bodies like the IET overemphasises academics at the expense of creativity and practical skills.

Quote:
Unlike our traditional paths of education and unlike many homeschooled children, my wife uses Unschooling (also called Whole Life Learning and Interest Led Learning) as her curriculum. In fact, there is no curriculum. None. My children choose to learn what they want to learn when they want to learn it.

Quote:
Our society is facing many challenges, many of which stem from our educational system and approach. The top-down method of teaching/learning/ obedience, etc. is no longer working. In fact, I believe it is the primary reason our society is stuck where we are–high unemployment rates, dissatisfied (and depressed), overweight, and at a loss for the individual spirit that defined the making of our country.

Quote:
One of the reasons I attribute to the decline of our healthcare system is the method of medical education.

Quote:
The idea of learning the facts by themselves in an isolated manner makes no sense anymore. Even when you try to do this in a group with “made-up” cases. No, the very best way for us to remember how anything “works” is to learn it as it happens, in real-time, with real people.

Quote:
I certainly don’t have all the answers as to how to improve medical education, but I do know from my perspective of being part of a world of Unschooling, the most amazing learning and discovery authentically comes when children engage in the real world around them. My son taught himself to read at age 4 because he wanted to. My daughter published her first book at age 9 because she wanted to.

Quote:
Public education needs to change. And from where I sit today, medical education does too.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: What medical education can learn from homeschooling
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:10 pm 

You found a real gem of an article. I wonder what NHS managers would think of it. They run one of the most bureaucratic, conservative, and rule-bound institutions in Britain. Do they admire home education - or even know that it exists - or do they hold the mentality that everyone who works under them has to have attended a school?

Share this information
  • Print view this post