Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The extradition of Talha Ahsan
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad have entered into a plea bargain negotiated by their attorneys with federal prosecutors. It doesn't imply in any way that they are guilty, but under the dysfunctional American system of justice, defendents usually have no other realistic choice because a fair trial is not a right.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#22  PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am 

I look foward to the day when he returns to Britain and is reunited with his family. I hope that day comes soon and Theresa May doesn't prevent his return on the flimsy basis of appeasing the taxpayers or some other ridiculous argument. It must be absolutely awful what he has had to endure being flown out to the US on an American military aircraft then incarcerated in solitary confinement in supermax conditions for over a year. Lengthy pre-trial detentions in harsh conditions and plea bargaining, which is actually extortionism and judicial blackmail, have no place in a nation calling itself civilised that not only considers itself a beacon of freedom and democracy to the whole world, but goes as far as to attack other nations using military force under the argument of installing these values over there. My son thinks that the US is still the wild west where civil liberties and justice count for zilch in the face of the elites in Washington and Wall Street. He finds it all very distressing and says that he probably wouldn't have survived himself if he was extradited in the same way. Several years ago he gave a talk that included a piece about how the Americans like to break defendents down to make them plead guilty to crimes they did not commit in exactly the same way that school prefects bully students into owning up to acts of bad behaviour that they did not carry out.

The mainstream media reports of the case are appalling and I am disgusted in the way that journalists largely ignored Talha Ahsan whilst he was awaiting extradition, and after he had changed his plea to guilty, they swarming all over him. It really goes to show the bias in journalism. Both the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph omit the plea bargaining issue at the heart of the American system of justice which I consider is deception and miscarrying justice because it gives the impression that he has actually committed terrorist activities. At least the BBC report briefly touches on plea bargaining but it really should have explained the process in more detail.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#23  PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Hamja Ahsan (younger brother of Talha) has flown out to the United States to meet Talha in jail. Yesterday Talha got to hug Hamja for the first time since he was extradited in October 2012. This is fantastic news because I thought that this day would never come. Talha's final sentencing is supposed to take place in a few days time.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#24  PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Final sentencing took place at the Richard Lee courthouse in New Haven, Connecticut.

Talha Ahsan is declared a FREE man by Judge Janet Hall. He receives a time served verdict for the 8 years he served, mostly without charge or trial. The best possible outcome under US plea-bargain deal. He has been transferred out of the Northern Correction Institution to immigration custody, awaiting deportation home. His family are instantly showered with hundreds of messages of solidarity, love and support from across the UK and the world at the news of Talha's freedom.

Words cannot describe how happy I am. We can finally look forward to Talha coming back home. Hopefully something positive will emerge from this unique case and the extradition laws will come under serious scrutiny.

I have temporarily removed the Talha Ahsan banner from the website because it's now out of date saying that he is awaiting trial. It will be restored when I find the time to update it. I'm very busy at the moment.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#25  PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:40 pm 

There's an article about Talha Ahsan by the Guardian columnist Sadhbh Walshe.

Jihad, justice and the American way: is this a model for fair terrorism trials?

Yet here was a terrorism case about non-operational terrorism – about a website, and Ahmad’s visit to an Afghan training camp in 1999, and ultimately about over-aggressive prosecutors seeking 25 and 15 years, respectively.

No, Judge Janet Hall was not willing to entertain the Fox News-ification of terrorism. “There is no way to rationalize the sentences” the government had recommended, she said, at least not based on claims that two men promoted “violent jihad” and provided what is known as “material support” for terrorists. “In my view,” the judge said, “jihad does not equal terrorism. In a perversion of what Islam teaches, terrorists have misappropriated the concept of jihad from its true meaning – struggle. But jihad is not what happened on 9/11.”

"I've had to witness the agony in my mother’s voice every day," Ahsan's brother, Hamja, told me moments after learning the verdict, which will leave Talha in the custody of US immigration officials with the prospect of returning home to Tooting in London.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... abar-ahmad

There will be a celebration party held during the next meeting at my local AS support group.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#26  PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm 

Another article in the Guardian about Talha Ahsan by Arun Kundnani and Jeanne Theoharis

The UK government tried to disappear Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad to the US, but the basic rules of evidence were unexpectedly applied.

When prosecutors noted Azzam.com had republished Osama bin Laden’s 1996 declaration of war against the US, Hall said the New York Times had as well. The court was shown a gruesome video, available on Azzam.com, of a Chechen militant committing war crimes. Hall said that the US government also commits war crimes.

She noted Ahsan and Ahmad’s characteristics of empathy, generosity and wide community of support, and accepted they were motivated not by fanaticism but a desire to end oppression.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... abar-ahmad

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#27  PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Talha is still stuck in immigration custody. I was hoping that Talha would be able to enjoy his first Eid with his family in 8 year but it's now looking unlikely. Theresa May might have to give the green light to permit Talha's return to Britain and she probably isn't a happy bunny with the judge's decision.

Andy Worthington mentions Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad in his latest article for Al Jazeera titled Britain's Latest Counterterrorism Disasters.

Asim Qureshi of Cage, who knew Talha Ahsan (as a friend at SOAS University) and Babar Ahmad (as a family friend), personally writes that last week's sentences went against the grain of what we have come to expect from the War on Terror.

I am trying to keep up to date with developments using postings on the Free Talha Ahsan Facebook and Twitter pages.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#28  PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Caroline Lucas MP says "I am so pleased for Talha, his friends and his family that they are, at long last, to be reunited. This case has highlighted the extent to which a British citizen’s fundamental rights can be breached if the US so decides. It highlights the grave flaws in UK law, such as on extradition and on detention without trial. And it highlights the amazing resilience of the human spirit, the determination to fight for justice and freedom. Talha has gone through a horrendous ordeal, including conditions in a US jail that equate to torture. I wish him the very best as he decides how best to rebuild his life, surrounded by those who love him dearly."

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#29  PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 am 
Site Admin

The first television interview with the parents of Talha Ahsan since he was declared his freedom.

CAGE interviews Hamja Ahsan on Talha's release. A 10 minute long video.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#30  PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Talha called home today from USA immigration custody for the first time since news of his freedom.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next