Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: The extradition of Talha Ahsan
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:19 pm 

I am trying to recover from the shock of what happened. When the news reached me that Talha Ahsan was his way to be flown out of Britain I felt disgusted to the core. It was a black day in British justice. The same applies equally to my son who is feeling very shaken and withdrawn at the moment. He is worried that he could be extradited as the next Christopher Tappin as a result of his own business deals in electronic components.

Both myself and my son have been campaigning to cancel the extradition of Gary McKinnon for the past few years. This later lead to the awareness of another person with AS who was also due to be extradited. Sadly he didn't appear to have the same backing from the media as Gary McKinnon did but nevertheless we decided that campaigning against his extradition was the right thing to do. Unlike Gary McKinnon who lived at home, Talha Ahsan was imprisoned without trial for a total of 6 years. I consider this to be absolutely scandalous. His campaigners battled for years to put him on trial in Britain but the government refused, and I couldn't understand why. At the end of last year all was explained. The Metropolitan Police had handed all the material they had collected on Talha Ahsan over to the Americans and had submitted none of it to the CPS. This was absolutely frightening. At that point I immediately wrote to my MP demanding a public inquiry into this and that the Home Secretary forced the police to hand all the evidence to the CPS or else face disciplinary proceedings including the possibility of jail. In the meantime the Home Secretary was to put the extradition on hold until the police had submitted all of their evidence to the CPS and it was reviewed by them. Nothing came of it. It is a gross example of a travesty of justice that the police can behave as they did and get away with it.

I have been thinking over the events that have happened and I am now of the opinion that it is no ordinary extradition. It is a politically motivated attack. The fact that the plane was waiting on the runway of the USAF base in advance, and Abu Hamza was moved from Belmarsh to Long Lartin a few days earlier gives the impression that the extradition was all-pre planned before the court had given it's verdict. Somehow I think that MI5 or MI6 is behind it all. The stench of corruption is unbearable.

What I cannot understand is why Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad couldn't be unbundled from Abu Hamza and the other two foreigners who were extradited. The Home Secretary should have delayed the extradition of Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad as they are both British citizens and in order to enable any final issues to be resolved - like Asperger syndrome. The notorious reputation of Abu Hamza has seized front pages in the news and vilified Talha Ahsan as a terrorist. The Home Secretary should have known how hostile and sensationalist the mainstream media is towards Muslims. Once Abu Hamza is out of the way then it makes it much easier to look at Talha Ahsan as a person with AS like Gary McKinnon. Forget the allegations of terrorism. The man is a gentle poet with AS and a vulnerable individual at risk from suicide. He is not a violent extremist. Unlike Gary McKinnon who has admitted hacking, Talha Ahsan has not been proven guilty.

I seriously worry about his welfare now that he has been extradited and why his family have not heard from him yet for over two weeks. It is as if the British government have abandoned him. There is no place for a sensitive intellectual with AS inside a supermax prison. He will not survive long. It is equally sickening and despicable that he has to wait over a year for his trial in complete isolation in a high security prison under a communication ban. Why on earth can he not be released on bail now that he says he is not guilty in his pre-trial hearing? If the authorities will not release him on bail then transfer him to a lower security prison where he has the freedom to communicate with his family and his lawyer.

We need to raise awareness of what has happened to him and campaign for his freedom and a fair trial. Sadly I think that 80% of the British population have no sympathy towards him because he is a Muslim and an alleged terrorist. There is popular support in Britain for double standards of justice where Habeus Corpus is thrown out of the window in the case of alleged Muslim terrorists. The silence from the NAS about Talha Ahsan has been deafening!

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: The extradition of Talha Ahsan
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

jencam wrote:
Somehow I think that MI5 or MI6 is behind it all.

They are definitely involved in it. MI5 had planted a surveillance bug in Babar Ahmad's house that was active on 2nd December 2003 when he was arrested. I'm not sure if they were involved directly with Talha Ahsan. He was arrested over two years after Babar Ahmad was which hints that information about him was revealed to the US intelligence community some time afterwards. I'm inclined to say that Talha Ahsan's involvement in Azzam was quite marginal in comparison to that of Babar Ahmad. This is guessing but I have a strong feeling that Hassan Abu-Jihaad could be the lynchpin in the entire affair, in that information about Babar Ahmad, and possibly Talha Ahsan, originally came from him. I have stated that both Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmed are obscure and unheard of people in the US

Quote:
What I cannot understand is why Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad couldn't be unbundled from Abu Hamza and the other two foreigners who were extradited. The Home Secretary should have delayed the extradition of Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad as they are both British citizens and in order to enable any final issues to be resolved - like Asperger syndrome.

This is something I cannot understand either. It would have been a much more sensible and intelligent move to have immediately extradited Abu Hamza and the other two foreigners; let the media have their fun and games with slogans like 'swing your hook'; and kept the extradition of Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad on hold for a couple of weeks then handled the case alongside Gary McKinnon. If Theresa May really wanted to extradite Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad then she could have at least had the decency to personally demand a trial in a British court of law beforehand. I'm of the opinion that there could well have been some 'under the table' dealing between the British and American governments along the lines of that Britain hands over all five Muslims in exchange for Gary McKinnon and Richard O'Dwyer being spared extradition.

Quote:
The silence from the NAS about Talha Ahsan has been deafening!

Despite repeated requests for the NAS to be more vocal and outspoken about Talha Ahsan...

The trouble is that the NAS functions like the gatekeeper for Asperger syndrome because a high proportion of parents place much trust in the organisation and prefer to have all their services under one roof. They believe whatever the NAS says is right, and if they don't give something coverage then they believe it is wrong or irrelevant. Asperger Home Education is a minnow in comparison to the NAS and our small size acts as an impediment to gaining credibility as a media source or the trust of the public.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:39 am 

admin wrote:
The trouble is that the NAS functions like the gatekeeper for Asperger syndrome because a high proportion of parents place much trust in the organisation and prefer to have all their services under one roof. They believe whatever the NAS says is right, and if they don't give something coverage then they believe it is wrong or irrelevant.

I second this. The NAS were completely useless back in the days when my son was a teenager and we first found out about AS. All the NAS seems to care about is maintaining it's high profile and trying to monopolise the ASD support services. They are only useful for children in school who want to go to school, and then they abandon them to the real world once they reach 18 because their support for adults is diabolical. If you home educate then you might as well forget them.

Part of the problem is populism. The NAS doesn't want to upset too many Daily Mail readers who happen to comprise a sizeable fraction of parents of children with ASD. Gary McKinnon was a computer hacker which is probably seen as a tolerable crime for a person with AS. Talha Ahsan is a Muslim accused of terrorism which the NAS considers to have potential to scare away many parents if they decide to support him. The fact that Gary McKinnon had admitted to his hacking offences and is liable for prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act leading to jail, whereas Talha Ahsan only has an allegation without proof or evidence against him and pleads not guilty is completely beside the point as far as the NAS is concerned.

Apparently, there is a discussion about Talha Ahsan over on the NAS forum and there doesn't seem to be much sympathy for him,

http://community.autism.org.uk/discussi ... -have-aspe

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Admin

BBC News, 25th October 2012

The Crown Prosecution Service has published new guidelines which say that people accused of crimes which cut across national boundaries should be tried in the country where most of the alleged offending occurred. The guidelines have now come into force, but are subject to review following consultation in the weeks to come. They say that the starting point should be some kind of joint approach to investigation between two nations, so that law enforcement agencies in each country are clear what the other is doing and why. That relationship should include sharing information so that prosecutors can work out what charges someone can face in each jurisdiction.

This raises a question whether these new guidelines would have stopped the extradition of Talha Ahsan and Babar Ahmad. Would it have made it possible for the CPS to have obtained the evidence collected by the Metropolitan Police to enable both men to be put on trial in the UK?

The news article also states "It's possible that the US authorities will ask British detectives to appear as witnesses - as has happened in a linked trial involving an American citizen."

"The US authorities will make plain in the trial that Mr Ahmad and Talha Ahsan (who was never arrested by British police) were operating the website in London. They claim jurisdiction because the website was technically served from computers in Connecticut and the indictment makes wider allegations of conspiracy with US nationals".

The way I see things is that the American prosecutors can only use whatever website data was stored on the server in Connecticut. They are not allowed to use website data from beforehand or afterwards. If a website formally stuffed to the brim with terrorist material only showed a blank page during the time whilst it was on the server in the US, then a blank page is all the American prosecutors are allowed to use. They must disregard the terrorist material because it was not stored on a server in the US.

I suspect that the conspiracy with US nationals happens to be Hassan Abu-Jihaad. He is clearly intertwined with this case although whether there are formal dealings between him and Talha Ahsan / Babar Ahmad, or he had simply emailed them confidential information remains to be seen.

There is definitely secret evidence in the hands of the Americans which may or may not be correct. Theresa May is probably party to some of it but the CPS isn't.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:21 pm 

It's been four weeks now since Talha Ahsan was extradited and his family have not heard anything from him yet. No phone calls, no letters, no nothing. It's ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason to subject him to an incommunicado regime whilst awaiting trial because not an ounce of evidence exits that he is in contact with any terrorists or gangsters. He was able to communicate freely during the 6 years he was detained in British prisons and no security issues resulted from this. He phoned home regularly and his family used to visit him every Sunday.

I'm writing to the Foreign Office about this requesting that they demand the American powers that be to ensure that communication is restored between him and his family urgently.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Christopher Tappin has pleaded guilty to arms dealing in a pre-trial hearing. This isn't because he is actually guilty. He is just being pragmatic by choosing to accept a 33 month sentence in the UK rather than risk a 35 year sentence in the US with no option of parole. The dysfunctional American system of justice employs a system of plea bargaining where a defendant is given a choice at the outset of a trial either to plead guilty to some of the charges and accept a shorter sentence, or to hold a full trial by jury with the risk of a much lengthier sentence if the verdict is guilty. As a result of plea bargaining, over 95% of all defendants in American courts accept them rather then participate in full trials. His trial starts on Monday 5th November.

I will make an intelligent guess that Talha Ahsan will also enter into a plea bargain next year.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#7  PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 am 

The leader of UKIP Nigel Farage has condemned America’s "abhorrent" plea bargain system which he claims has forced close friend Christopher Tappin to plead guilty to a crime he did not commit. He said that Christopher Tappin had "no other realistic choice" than to enter into a plea bargain with US authorities.

Kent News

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#8  PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:02 am 
Site Admin

A video of the Full Gary McKinnon Press Conference 2012, featuring Janis Sharp, Karen Todner, Edward Fitzgerald QC, Ben Cooper, David Burrowes MP, Shami Chakrabarti, and Mark Lever from the National Autistic Society.

At 8:28 Mark Lever talks about Asperger syndrome and the extradition but he fails to mention Talha Ahsan. At 19:20 he mentions the importance of intervention for ANYONE with Asperger syndrome. Pause the video at 19:49 and notice the blank expression on Mark Lever's face when Talha Ahsan is mentioned. He is a man who gave absolutely zero support to Talha Ahsan whilst he was awaiting extradition and probably doesn't care less about him now that he is detained in solitary confinement in the US.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#9  PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am 

My son has noticed a recent discussion of Talha Ahsan taking place on WrongPlanet and it isn't very positive or sympathetic.

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: test
Post Number:#10  PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

BREAKING NEWS. THE GREAT DAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED

Talha Ahsan has finally managed to phone home today at 6:05PM GMT and spoke to his parents. Unfortunately his brother Hamja was not in at the time. It must be such a relief to him and his family.

Share this information
  • Print view this post