Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Hi New and confused
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:23 pm 

Hi. I have a tricky situation and I am not sure I fall strictly in to the home school catagory at least not yet. I have an Aspergers son, 10, currently out of school and at home but still on role at a special unit due to violent meltdowns after only 2 days of starting. Its a long complicated story but the upshot is that I have a tribunal date set for October and originally wanted him to attend a special Aspergers school out of country hence the tribunal but now I am thinking that i should negotiate an 'education otherwise' package for him based at home and with some being managed by me too.

I am also thinking that this county (Wiltshire) is not very autism/aspergers friendly and maybe a move to another County (i know that means a new council to deal with ) may prove to be a good idea in terms of aspie stuff going on Cornwall or Devon maybe? Does anyone have anything to offer in terms of advice. Lovely to be here on this forum. x

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: Hi New and confused
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm 

Welcome to the forum. Does you son have a statement of SEN?

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm 

Hi, yes he has statement and i am currently appealing parts 2,3 and 4 but like I said have this huge dilemma about whether school is even the right place for him?

Share this information
  • Print view this post
Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 am 

You have to be careful with statements of SEN. More often than not certain material contained in them which is required to obtain a place at a SEN school will effectively prevent a parent from choosing home education because certain provisions cannot be met in this environment. One way to amend a statement to enable the option of HE is to say that no suitable SEN schools exist within reasonable travelling distance. I'm not sure if HE is possible whilst awaiting the tribunal. You will have to enquire this with LA officials.

Share this information
  • Print view this post