Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Hi everyone - I'm from Lichfield in Staffordshire
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hi all, I'm new here, just thought I'd say hi. I'm Liz, and we think our son might have a high functioning autism after we have tried to start him at school and reluctantly have had to withdraw him and home educate, after he did not settle well and was very unhappy there. His symptoms tend to be related to his obsession with fans and spinning things, and his inability to sit still for long in class. He found it difficult to relate to the other kids, although one or two kids really did love him there, so much so that they followed him around all day. I have had to stay at school with him also, he was so clingy when I tried to leave that the teacher asked me to stay to help him settle, which he never really did. I have lots of reservations about taking him out of school, but it is what the headteacher has suggested. They did not have a SEN teacher available to help, and told me I would need to get my son formally diagnosed with a disorder in order to get more funding for the school to get further 1:1 help. To be honest I am very unsure about this whole diagnosis thing too, my son is only 4 and his symptoms are mild. He talks very well for his age, loves physical contact with everyone, and eye contact etc are all normal - and he had developed normally in every other way. He just didn't particularly fit well into the day to day school life, and appears to be learning much more at home and at local home education groups - actually he seems to be happier around kids that are older than him. And so, we are at the start of our journey and I hope to meet others who have similar experiences on here. Any advice for a newcomer to this would be so gratefully received. I lost my dad to cancer last year and I am still trying to get over that too, its all a lot to take on board to be honest.
Love to everyone
xxxx

Share this information
  • Print view this post
 Post subject: Re: Hi everyone - I'm from Lichfield in Staffordshire
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum.

My recommendation is that you don't push for an official diagnosis until your son is about 6 years old. Certain aspects of ASD tend to have 'settled down' by then resulting in a diagnosis that is more accurate and realistic. Experiences have shown that early diagnoses around reception class age can produce erratic results which then require a subsequent diagnosis has to be carried out around the ages of 6 to 8.

It's quite common for children with ASD to relate better to children who are both older and younger than themselves. Schools are unfortunately organised by age more than anything else.

Share this information
  • Print view this post